[plug] List domains and netiquette

Beau Kuiper kuiperba at cs.curtin.edu.au
Tue Mar 21 17:46:28 WST 2000

Hi,

Hmm, I am a lurker, thus I don't post much :-)

I disagree that there needs to be two lists. A second, moderated list would
simply be left unused as everyone just posts to the main list. (Lets face it,
we are all lazy and would either cross-post to both lists or simply to the main
list)

I also do think the flaming is getting slightly out of hand though.  It becomes
very nasty when personal attacks are involved, and I get bored when flamewars
get abusive. (I ussually stop reading a thread when the flamethrowers get pulled
out). Perhaps people involved in personal attacks should get temporaryly banned
(72 hours) as a cool of period, and told to take the crap off the list. Of
course people will have problems with this, like any other solution presented
so far.

On the topic of making people stay on the list, perhaps people are leaving
because there is no decent content on the list. This list needs to have:

	* upcoming meetings and events posted.
	* meeting minutes or summaries.
	* perhaps a summary of security fixes each week or other linux news.
	* other useful stuff.

People will definitely leave when confronted with a list with very little
content and messy flamewars.

Have fun
Beau Kuiper
kuiperba at cs.curtin.edu.au