[plug] Multiple Xservers

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at hungry.com
Wed Mar 22 13:14:32 WST 2000

[Bret Busby]
> From the above, my understanding is that a user types startx for the
> first session, then startx - :1 for the second session. Is that
> correct? Is a third session iniated, by typing in startx - :2 ? Or,
> is the :1 switch used for each successive session?

The ':1' switch would be ':<n!={0,1}>' for the next display.  The
number specify which display number the X server should use.  The same
number will be part of your $DISPLAY environment variable to point
your X program to the correct server.  Normally, X servers appear as
display 0.

> Do you need extra RAM, either on the motherboard, or on the video
> card, or a powerful CPU to do that? I believe that I have 1MB of RAM
> on my video card (it may be 512KB, I am not sure), and 32MB RAM on
> the motherboard, and a Cyrix 6x86 CPU.

You switch between the displays by moving to other virtual consoles.
Nothing extra is required by the video card, but you will be running
more X server processes, and this will use more memory then one X
server process.

> I understood that only one session of X could be run on a machine,
> at a time.

Something new to learn every day. :-)

> Also, does that allow for different logins to run X simultaneously?
> For example, can I login as a user, and run X, and then login as
> root, and run X, while the user session of X is running?

Yes, absolutely.
##>  Petter Reinholdtsen <##    | pere at td.org.uit.no
 O-  <SCRIPT Language="Javascript">window.close()</SCRIPT>
http://www.hungry.com/~pere/    | Go Mozilla, go! Go!