[plug] Question for netiquette FAQ's page

Bret Busby bret at clearsol.iinet.net.au
Wed Mar 22 14:06:40 WST 2000

Simple question:

Should a person, who has raised a question, and got responses, post a message
that just says "Thanks"?

Example:
I posted a question about the multiple Xservers (or, a few questions, in the one
message). People replied. I have not tried it, due to what I perceive as
insufficient RAM (Netscape takes up about 16MB, according to top), and grinds
the system to a halt every so often, during a session, as CPU usage rockets.
Thus, I think I need 64MB of RAM, anyway, apart from trying extra X-sessions.
However, I am grateful for the responses, and have not yet tried to evaluate the
repsonses, but accept the advice in good faith.

Should I post a response that just says thanks for all the advice, or, is it
assumed, and, therefore, wasting bandwidth, by not either raising queries, or by
offering any information, other than that I am grateful?

Whilst it is polite, and courteous, to post a "Thanks" message, that says
basically, just that, with no other information, is it assumed, and, therefore
wasting bandwidth?

Perhaps, that is a question for the mailing list etiquette FAQ's, or, perhaps,
it may be regarded as too trivial.

I am curious as to the response...

--

Bret Busby