[plug] PLUG FAQ

Bret Busby bret at clearsol.iinet.net.au
Wed Mar 22 13:22:25 WST 2000

Christian wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Well, several people have responded inviting me to start and maintain a
> PLUG FAQ so, if there are no objections, I'll do just that. :-)  At this
> stage what I'm suggesting is that people write to me and propose
> questions (preferably with answers!) that should be covered and I'll
> start putting them together and organising them into sections (assuming
> we have enough questions).

Perahps, a good way to start, would be to launch a prototype, and revise it, on
the basis of perceived improvements, initated by yourself, instanding back and
having a look at it, and, from feedback from vistors. (Spiral methodology...)

> My suggestions for sections are:
> 1. ABOUT PLUG
> About the group, primary goals, organisation, how to gain membership,
> benefits of membership, meetings, reasoning behind decisions on all the
> bureacratic things like incorporation (which I haven't really been
> following so someone will have to fill me in on this).

This sounds like some stuff already on the PLUG website...

> 2. ABOUT THE MAILING LIST
> Recommendations on the topic of postings, established netiquette, why
> the list works the way it does, various religious flamewars which have
> already been fought so are not worth fighting again etc.

? The "various religious flamewars", would that be relating to the distribution
wars? If the "which have already been fought so are not worth fighting again",
can discourage further discussion of comparisons, based on new features in new
distributions, or, new faults discovered with existing, or new distributions, I
am not sure that would be such a good idea.

Also, what about trolling? What would be the policy? If that billy goat rears
its head again, and starts promoting IE12, or Win2k, service pack number 2001,
how would the "recommendations" deal with that?

> 3. TECHNICAL STUFF?
> As for the more technical stuff, I'm not sure about what to put... In
> general I've noticed that the same questions don't get asked too many
> times over (although there are probably plenty of exceptions) so, if you
> can think of a question you've seen asked once too often then please
> email me with it so I can include it.  Otherwise I'll just start
> including questions that I see get posted which I think should be part
> of the FAQ.

Perhaps, going through the archives, and finding the questions raised at the
start of each thread, and deciding whether they should be included?

> skribe wrote:
> > Great idea.  How detailed would you be willing to make it?
>
> Well, I don't know...  The FAQ shouldn't really be a complete manual,
> just a document that explains the basics and points you to the detailed
> answers where necessary.
>
> With all these things, obviously I'm going to present things from my
> point of view (although I will try to be as unbiased and objective as
> possible) so if someone doesn't like my explanation or POV then please
> email me with yours so I can present both sides of the argument.
>
> Regards,
>
> Christian.

>From another message:

>> I think some stuff on the committee would be usefull.  Who are the curerent
>> office holders and how to get in touch with them.

>Ok, I might have to get some of the details here off you if that's
>alright...

This sounds to me, like the previously raised requests for the existing web site
to be updated. Are you also planning to update the existing website?

I think that perhaps you should either update the existing web site, first, or,
that someone should do that, so that you do not have duplication of effort (and
information). Perhaps, what could be a good idea, before commencing the FAQ web
pages, would be a revision and updating of the web site, to both update the
information provided, and, to provide for the FAQ web page(s), and, fit them in
with the information punlished elsewhere on the website, to make the website
efficiently designed, to avoid any duplication of information.

In summary, I think the first step would be to get the existing website updated,
and analysed, to provide for the FAQ web page(s), without duplication (or
conflict) of information, and in that, providing for the FAQ web page(s), and
launching a prototype, subject to ongoing revision and feedback.

Heaps of work, but, how does that sound?

--

Bret Busby