[plug] PLUG FAQ

Christian christian at amnet.net.au
Wed Mar 22 13:52:26 WST 2000

Bret Busby wrote:
> > 2. ABOUT THE MAILING LIST
> > Recommendations on the topic of postings, established netiquette, why
> > the list works the way it does, various religious flamewars which have
> > already been fought so are not worth fighting again etc.
>
> ? The "various religious flamewars", would that be relating to the distribution
> wars? If the "which have already been fought so are not worth fighting again",
> can discourage further discussion of comparisons, based on new features in new
> distributions, or, new faults discovered with existing, or new distributions, I
> am not sure that would be such a good idea.

Firstly, there's a difference between religious flamewars and a
discussion/evaluation of features.  Secondly, most religious flamewars
are not related to new features but to the fact that the underlying
approaches to two things may be different (e.g., vi vs emacs).  I don't
think people are going to be dissuaded from pointing out new features or
faults based upon a recommendation in an FAQ.

> Also, what about trolling? What would be the policy? If that billy goat rears
> its head again, and starts promoting IE12, or Win2k, service pack number 2001,
> how would the "recommendations" deal with that?

Good question.  How do you think PLUG should deal with that?  I'm not
taking responsibility for establishing the way PLUG deals with mailing
list issues, I'm merely offering to help document the
decisions/suggestions arrived at to resolve these issues.

> > 3. TECHNICAL STUFF?
> > As for the more technical stuff, I'm not sure about what to put... In
> > general I've noticed that the same questions don't get asked too many
> > times over (although there are probably plenty of exceptions) so, if you
> > can think of a question you've seen asked once too often then please
> > email me with it so I can include it.  Otherwise I'll just start
> > including questions that I see get posted which I think should be part
> > of the FAQ.
> >

> Perhaps, going through the archives, and finding the questions raised at the
> start of each thread, and deciding whether they should be included?

Well, I'm not going to do that... I just don't have the time.  But if
someone wanted to help by doing that then of course they're free to do
this.  However, in the future, I'm going to try and add things to the
FAQ that I see come along that I think would be useful there.  If anyone
comes up with things of their own they think should be documented then
they should email me with them.

> This sounds to me, like the previously raised requests for the existing web site
> to be updated. Are you also planning to update the existing website?

No.  I don't have time to manage the web site and, I understand, someone
else already has agreed to do this.  If they aren't able to actively
maintain it then maybe someone else should volunteer.

Regards,

Christian.