[plug] Multiple Xservers/prev kde question

Mike Holland myk at golden.wattle.id.au
Thu Mar 23 12:56:41 WST 2000

On Wed, 22 Mar 2000, William Kenworty wrote:

> the next question is:  Is there an easy way to get it to use the next available
> Xserver without scripting (prob put it in the startx script) to read the
> display variable etc? (why do all that work if there is an obvious answer!)
> The intention is to allow the kids to use their login and Xdisplay without

X will automatically use the first available VT. And you can use
any number for the display. You could allocate :3 to Bill Jr, :4 to Betty
etc.   Create a ~/.xserverrc for each user with e.g. "X :3".
No need to use the "next available" number.

Mike Holland  <mike at golden.wattle.id.au>
                          --==--
I have made this letter longer than usual because I lack the time to
make it shorter.              -- Blaise Pascal