[plug] IP Accounting

Nathan Alberti nathan at paradox.net.au
Thu Mar 30 12:47:32 WST 2000

Brad Campbell wrote:

> Afternoon everyone,
>
> I'm looking for pointers to info on IP packet accounting for
> Linux, ie I want to add accounting to my masq/dialup box so I
> can look at traffic flows from/to the outside world(ppp0) and
> the individual machines on my network(eth0).
> I have found nothing as yet, can someone point me at a faq
> or something along those lines..
>
> I think what I really need is a Cisco router, but to do it with
> linux would be so much neater (cheaper) for me :p)
>
> Thanks in advance
> --
> Brad....
> "The ultimate result is that some innovations that would
> truly benefit consumers never occur for the sole reason
> that they do not conincide with Microsoft's self-interest"
> - Judge Thomas Penfield Jackson
>          /"\
>          \ /     ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN
>           X      AGAINST HTML MAIL
>          / \

I would recommend searching the freshmeat site for ipchains or IP
accounting, there are a few good bit's and pieces on there to help you
along that also parse the data and spit out some pretty HTML. I would
also recommend reading the IPCHAINS howto
(howto.tucows.com/LDP/HOWTO/IPCHAINS-HOWTO.html) although this does not
go into great detail on setting up IP Accounting (well it does, just not
clearly) it provides good info.

--
Nathan Alberti - Ackroyd
(Network Operations Engineer)