[plug] Using the "-X" modifier in tar

Mike Holland myk at golden.wattle.id.au
Fri Mar 31 15:58:56 WST 2000

On Fri, 31 Mar 2000, Phillip Steege wrote:

>   Thanks for clearing that up for me.  I appreciate it very much.
> I have been trying to do a backup, on a Sun, and it kept trying to backup
> /dev/fd and /proc everytime.  I didn't want those directories included.

Phil,
another useful tar option is  [ -l, --one-file-system ]  so you
can backup the root fs with "tar cfl x.tar /" and avoid /proc etc.
  But /dev/fd shouldnt be a problem. What happened?

Mike Holland  <mike at golden.wattle.id.au>
                          --==--
I have made this letter longer than usual because I lack the time to
make it shorter.              -- Blaise Pascal