[plug] Redhat 6.0 and HTP366 UDMA66 controller

Michael Hunt Michael.J.Hunt at usa.net
Tue May 2 00:04:06 WST 2000

> >Hi.
> >
> >I have a ABit BP6 motherboard, and I want to install Redhat 6.0
> on a drive
> >connected to the onboard HTP366 controller. I've been told to use "linux
> >ide2=0xd000,0xd402 ide3=0xde000,0xe002" at the "boot:" prompt after
> >booting from a CD, but when I try this it says "unknown command
> >ide2=0xd000,0xd402 ide3=0xde000,0xe002" before entering the
> install screen.
> >
> >Any help would be good, thanks.
> >Brent.
>
> I have a BE6 with the HotRod card and have recently done an install of
> Mandrake 7.0 and attempted an install of Redhat 6.2. The Redhat install
> would hang during package install. Maybe the kernel version was not to
> good, I don't know. Anyway Mandrake 7.0 went on like a charm.
>
> The instructions you have are partly right. Those addresses are suspect,
> since they can be different for each card or controller.  Maybe the
> motherboard controller is always the same, I can't say. I assume the
> ide3=0xde000 is a typing error and should be 0xe000.
>
> The addresses I used for my card are 0xd800, 0xdc05  and 0xe400,
> 0xe805. I
> found out what they where by using the Windows control panel (see the
> mini-HOWTO below for a discussion about this). Also, using "ide2=..." at
> boot does not use the performance potential of UDMA/66, you need to patch
> and compile the kernel  separately to get that.
>
> There an excellent mini-HOTWO (that's not so mini) located at
> http://www.csie.ntu.edu.tw/~b6506063/hpt366/

If you visit http://www.gentus.com/ you'll find some information on an ABIT
specific distro which supports HPT366 controllers out of the box (no
recompile). Otherwise you can give Suse 6.4 a try as I have seen it detect
my HPT366 driver in the boot up messages. Yet to install it on a disk that
is actually connected to the controller (will be doing that tomorrow, ....
Well probably Wednesday when you take into a account the time difference of
8 hours).

There that number 8 popping up again !!!!!

Michael Hunt
Enjoying a sunny day in the UK

A very big rarity !!!!!!!