[plug] Is Red hat truly flawed?

Scott, Simon Simon.Scott at SEALCORP.com.au
Tue May 2 13:10:01 WST 2000

I severely doubt it

Most, if not all, distributions simply compile and package up the source as
it stands from kernel.org....

The article did not mention, but did he need console access to achieve this?
Most Linux boxes can be 'hacked' from the console, by simply forcing a
ctrl-alt-del shutdown and then passing 'single' to the kernel from the lilo
prompt.

So he got the password file... and???? any site that maintains normal
password checking (running your own password files thru crack might be a
good idea) means that brute force dictionary attacks are rendered virtually
useless... and if you use shadow passwords, he would probably have to hack
root ops to grab the shadow password file.....

So to achieve this remotely, and without obtaining root privs he must have
found some way to have the passwd file mailed/ftped/whatever to him... if he
can achieve this, the guy is a schmuck for not publishing details so the
kernel hackers can jump on it...

My first reaction would probably check this guys connections to Microsoft's
FUD department :)

 "With all the security bugs in JavaScript and all the pages that use
  it, a lot of sites are best viewed with telnet www.something.com 80"
                                                       -- Darren Embry