[plug] Cannon Postscript Printer

Brad Campbell brad at seme.com.au
Wed May 3 15:02:37 WST 2000

G'day all,

I have a system where the entire office of windows machines
prints to a samba box to 5 printers using lpd.

I have this old steam powered cannon laser printer with a
bolt on processor to allow it to print from postscript set
up as one of the printers.
The problem is it spits the dummy if the postscript file
exceeds 24Mb. As this is only about 10 pages of a word
document, this is posing a problem, as we have to print
100 page documents in 10 chunks of 10 pages.

What I'm after is some way of filtering the document to be
able to break it up into smaller parts.
I have had a play with Ghostscript, but I'm turning up
blanks.

I did have an idea to use ghostscript to render a bitmap
for every page of the print file, and then pipe it to some
utility to print postscript from the bitmaps, but I'm not
getting very far.

Has anyone come up against such a braindead postscript
interpreter previously? or does anyone have any idea
as to how I can solve my problem, using freely available
linux/UNIX programs ?

Cheers in advance ..

--
Brad....
"The ultimate result is that some innovations that would