[plug] Debian NFS Problems

Brad Campbell brad at seme.com.au
Thu May 4 14:02:52 WST 2000

G'day all,
I was having a severe problem with NFS, solved now, but I
thought I'd run it past you to see if anyone has heard of
similar, and to alert you to a possible problem.

I share a 25Gig drive from a box running Debian 2.1r4(slink)
with NFS, the drive is remotely mounted on a Debian 2.2pre
(potato) box, that has it's software updated every week or so.
I was having no problems at all, until someone suggested I alter
the mount options from default to default, read=8192,write=8192.
This was supposed to speed things up over the network.
After checking the man pages to make sure I was not doing anything
really really stupid.. And I don't think I was, I changed this.

After a week or so, I started to notice severe filesystem metadata
corruption on the 25Gig drive. So severe in fact, I had to pretty
much re-make the filesystem and re-load all the data from backups.

This went on for over a week, and after re-loading the drive for the
second time. I clicked it may have been the altered mount statement.

Changed it back and bingo, no more corruption.

Has anyone ever come across this, or related problems with NFS ?

Cheerio..

--
Brad....
"The ultimate result is that some innovations that would