[plug] Ethernet Addresses

Mike Holland myk at golden.wattle.id.au
Thu May 4 14:20:08 WST 2000

On Thu, 4 May 2000, Christian wrote:

> >   You could read /proc/net/arp, or exec the 'arp' command for more
> > portability.
>
> Will these give that information prior to an address being assigned to
> the interface?

No. But "ifconfig eth0" will give info while the interface is down. Is
that what you need?

I see an ioctl which looks suspicious:

socket(PF_INET, SOCK_DGRAM, IPPROTO_IP) = 4
ioctl(4, SIOCGIFHWADDR, 0xbffff9e0)     = 0

see netdevice(4) and netdevice(7).

> Looking at the Linux documentation it hasn't been updated since 1995
> (Linux 1.3.27) so please do send me that Solaris page! :)

My page is dated 24 January 1990.  I think the old SunOS 4 man pages are
likely to be closer to linux than the newer sys-V based Solaris-2 ones
are. Or has that changed?

Mike Holland  <mike at golden.wattle.id.au>
                          --==--