[plug] next meeting

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.smileys.net
Mon May 8 14:11:33 WST 2000

Jeremy Malcolm wrote:
> My platform for
> Web/database development is the Perl DBI.  I looked at PHP but I decided I
> didn't want to have to learn Python.

That was one reason I _started_ on PHP. (-:

PHP is not very much like Python at all. You start with an HTML page and
break out into a rash of code where you want it. Kind of like a template
- although there are "formal" templating systems for PHP as well, for
those pedantic about separating code and text. PHP can do many things
that PERL does, and many things hard in PERL are easy in PHP. Each has
its place, as does Python. It is easier to write a highly maintainable
system in Python than either PERL or PHP.

> (c) How I might get samba to stop freaking out when the net goes down?

Do your own nameservice, restart the name server with an empty
root-hints file when the link dies (put change-config and restart
/etc/ppp/ip-down.local). Just biting /etc/resolv.conf may be enough, but
I've never tried it because my gateway machines are always running a
cacheing nameserver.

--
Dogs have masters. Cats have staff.