[plug] Debian NFS Problems

Brad Campbell brad at seme.com.au
Tue May 9 12:47:20 WST 2000

Christian wrote:

> On Thu, May 04, 2000 at 02:02:52PM +0800, Brad Campbell wrote:
>
> > I share a 25Gig drive from a box running Debian 2.1r4(slink)
> > with NFS, the drive is remotely mounted on a Debian 2.2pre
> > (potato) box, that has it's software updated every week or so.
> > I was having no problems at all, until someone suggested I alter
> > the mount options from default to default, read=8192,write=8192.
> > This was supposed to speed things up over the network.
> > After checking the man pages to make sure I was not doing anything
> > really really stupid.. And I don't think I was, I changed this.
>
> Checking nfs(5), I don't see any read or write options...  There's
> 'rsize' and 'wsize' which may be what you're looking for...  I'm not
> sure whether specifying non-existent options would cause the problems
> you describe but it might be a place to start. :-)

Yeah, it was rsize=8192,wsize=8192
I was writing from memory, as I had removed all these statements from my
fstab. Anway, after lots of bashing on nfs without these statements, it
is working well.
Maybe something to beware of if you are playing with nfs. It caused a
massive dose of corruption on the disk.. so the moral of the story is
backup, backup and backup kiddies :p)

--
Brad....
"The ultimate result is that some innovations that would