[plug] Access Permissions/PAP query...

Trevor Phillips phillips at central.murdoch.edu.au
Wed May 10 12:26:28 WST 2000

We currently have a Web Development environment where content providers have a
UNIX account, through which to publish and test web documents. What they write
is stored owned by them, and also a group membership, using UNIX file
permissions. Access to files is by a number of ways:
  - Apache server (to authenticate to view the docs, etc)
  - Samba
  - FTP
  - netatalk

We'd really like to get away from using UNIX accounts and permissions and use
something more abstract, for a number of reasons, such as abstraction from UNIX
accounts, more flexibility, etc...

So, what we're after is an authentication method that'll support the 4 ways
they need to get in, that'll also provide a more versatile way of specifying
access to files (such as access control lists).

Does anyone have any ideas on "tidy" solutions to this, under linux
(preferrably Debian)?

: CWIS Systems Administrator     -           T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :