replying to long lines (was Unix)

Bevan Broun bevanb at ee.uwa.edu.au
Wed May 10 12:54:51 WST 2000

on Wed, May 10, 2000 at 12:43:38PM +0800, Christian <christian at amnet.net.au> wrote:
> Any idea how to get vim to do proper automatic word-wrapping like that
> of Netscape or any word processor?  I've fiddled around with a couple of
> options and can get it to wrap automatically when I type something but
> if I go back and edit something on a previous line then it will push
> all of this past the textwidth I've specified and make it all ugly again
> and I have to manually re-format it... I know there must be a better
> way!

I set textwidth=80 and vim automatically wraps while typing BUT if I
will be pushed over 80 chars. I just keep typing and then visually
select the paragraph/line and do a "gq". You could write a mapping for
this.

BB
--
Bevan Broun                                           ph (08) 9380 1587
Computer Systems Officer                             fax (08) 9380 1065