[plug] 2 modems, eql etc

Matt Kemner zombie at wasp.net.au
Mon May 15 17:05:23 WST 2000

On Mon, 15 May 2000, Shackleton, Kevin wrote:

> Does anyone have a URL or their expertise to offer?

It will only work when you have an EQL compatible system on the other hand
(ie another EQL on Linux, or an old portmaster with load sharing)

note that EQL is not compatible with multilink, which is the emerging
standard for bundling modems (and ISDN lines).

Considering you want 2x56k, EQL is not an option because you can't set up
56k links between 2 linux boxen.

However, Multilink support has recently been added to the 2.3 series
kernel, and there is an associated patched pppd available - see the linux
kernel mailing list post at
http://www.uwsg.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0004.1/1141.html

Also, there is a patch (by different people) for 2.2.14 at
http://linux-mp.terz.de/

Note that I have not had the chance to test either patch out yet, so if it
eats your hard drive, it's not my fault. :)

BTW if you do decide to go with EQL and you need any help, I've run a
4x33.6 EQL line for 2 years, and there are several others on this list
that have run 2-modem links that can also help.

 - Matt