[plug] Technical Assistance

Matt Kemner zombie at wasp.net.au
Mon May 15 23:12:26 WST 2000

On Mon, 15 May 2000, Mark Bailey wrote:

> Is it appropriate to bring Linux problems and computer
> along to the 4th Monday meeting at UWA.

It is always appropriate to do so at the Monday meetings.
But beware, those stairs are killers of those that bring heavy computer
equipment. :)

> Running KDE everything seems ok and then machine totally
> freezes up.

What type of video card do you use?

Sounds like it could be either a video card/driver problem (esp certain S3
cards are prone to this) or perhaps a memory problem (only triggered when
running KDE because KDE uses a large chunk of memory)

I'm more leaning towards a video card problem because bad memory wouldn't
necessarily cause a lock-up every time in the same place.

I might be able to bring a spare video card (Matrox) along to the meeting
so we can try that if you like.

You may wish to try to upgrade to the latest (or at least different)
versions of XFree86 and KDE before the meeting.

 - Matt