[plug] Technical Assistance

mbailey at ois.com.au mbailey at ois.com.au
Wed May 17 17:05:03 WST 2000

Thanx Dave.
I will try that out.

Regards,
Mark Bailey

-----Original Message-----
From: David Griffiths [mailto:griffith at environ.wa.gov.au]
Sent: Wednesday, 17 May 2000 10:04
To: plug at plug.linux.org.au
Subject: RE: [plug] Technical Assistance

Mark wrote:

>Thanx Matt,
>I understand what you mean but I really would like
>to try and avoid that if I can.
>
>It is not an old kernel. It is Redhat 6.1.

Mark re your comment about modprobe not being an elf object,
a quick and easy way to verify that your modprobe is not
corrupted is to do an

  rpm -V -v modutils

The -V does a verify on all files in the package, including dependencies
and checksums. If it's corrupted you will get something like

 S.5....T  /sbin/modprobe

where the S means that the size has changed, 5 means MD5 checksum
doesn't match the database (ie corrupted) etc (see man page for more
details).

cheers,

Dave.

  David Griffiths                               griffith at environ.wa.gov.au

  Systems Manager
  Air Quality Management Branch
  Department of Environmental Protection            Phone:   61 8 9222 7151

  Westralia Square                                  Fax  :   61 8 9321 5184
  141 St Georges Tce
  Perth 6000
  Western Australia