[plug] Scheduling and Blocking Explained

Christian christian at amnet.net.au
Thu May 18 17:05:52 WST 2000

On Thu, May 18, 2000 at 04:39:27PM +0800, Brad Campbell wrote:
> The reason I used select in my program rather than blocking IO and multiple
> threads or watchdog programs, is it's a hell of a lot simpler to do. And I'm
> not yet familiar with spawning threads, so I multiplex my IO.
> For what I do, it's plenty fast enough, and simple to write.

It's certainly much more efficient too.  To be honest, spawning new
processes to do IO seems like a bit of a hack to me.  A guy I know wrote
a full POP3 server that did all it's IO from a single process using
select() -- no forking at all.  Apparently it was hell fast compared
with normal forking POP3 servers.