[plug] Scheduling and Blocking Explained

Beau Kuiper kuiperba at cs.curtin.edu.au
Fri May 19 00:00:46 WST 2000

On Thu, 18 May 2000, Mike Holland wrote:

> On Thu, 18 May 2000, Beau Kuiper wrote:
>
> > > Would pthreads be the best way to do that? Rather than low-level
> > > non-portable system calls.
> >
> > Please note, these are NOT low end non-portable system calls. System V
> > shared memory and semephores exist on MOST unix architechures (more than
>
> I was the refering to the use of fork/clone() system call for threads,
> which is only Linux AFAIK.
>    Two processes using System V shared memory isnt my idea of 'threads'.

Neither mine ;-) I would definitly choose pthreads over clone() anyday if
I really need full threading. But using shared memory is better when
processes need to comunicate with each other, but most of the program
doesn't need it.

About pthreads though, I would avoid that too if possible (if you want to
write portable programs) since different operating systems do different
things with pthreads and it is often hard to get working consistantly
between OS's.

Just my thoughts after using both pthreads and System V thingyies.

Sorry for the getting it wrong again
Beau Kuiper
kuiperba at cs.curtin.edu.au