[plug] Apache

Tom Hallam thallam at ee.uwa.edu.au
Fri May 19 09:44:27 WST 2000

There are several things you have to watch for:

1)	You must create the ~user/public_html manually.
2)	The directory access must be so that the user that http runs as can
read the file.  ie "other = read"
3)	If you have set the default access in srm.conf to deny all (you
should - see security note in apache doco)  then you must explicitly
enable access to the public_html directory

Tom

Robert Andrews wrote:

> Hi all when a user trys to go to his home page on my Linux box
> with "server/~user"
> they get access denied
> Also the Public_html directory is not automaticly created below is the
> section from the srm.conf
> which if i am reading corectly the public directory should be
> automaticly created by appache
>
> DocumentRoot /home/httpd/html
>
> # UserDir: The name of the directory which is appended onto a user's
> home
> # directory if a ~user request is recieved.
>
> UserDir public_html
>
> # DirectoryIndex: Name of the file or files to use as a pre-written HTML
>
> # directory index.  Separate multiple entries with spaces.

Tom Hallam                                     ph: (08) 9380 1634
Information Systems Manager.                  fax: (08) 9380 1065
Dept. Electrical and Electronic Engineering. mobile: 0410 453 630
University of Western Australia                           rm: G72
http://www.ee.uwa.edu.au/~thallam    mailto:thallam at ee.uwa.edu.au