[plug] New(ish) release of PostgreSQL

Peter Wright pete at cygnus.uwa.edu.au
Mon May 22 11:50:40 WST 2000

On Mon, May 22, 2000 at 11:32:01AM +0800, Leon Brooks wrote:
> Peter Wright wrote:
[ various stuff ]
> > I went to the main site to check out the current situation. Found
> > out that as of 9/5, they have increased a major version number(!)
> > and are now at version 7.0.
>
> Version 7.1 will be much faster and will lose some of the existing
> limitations (e.e. non-blob dataset maxes out at 8kB/row), as major
> pieces of the low-end stuff is undergoing a rewrite for it.

Groovy. Did you get this info from the postgres site? If so, where was it?

> They're also planning at add some more SQL-completeness features. As
> I understand it, this work has been done more or less in parallel to
> stabilising 7.0, so a 7.1 release should be close at hand.

Excellent.

> Recently, pgsql.com saw a $US25M funds injection, which should do
> _something_ to it. (-:

*grin* You would certainly hope that funds like that would make a
difference somewhere. It is a pretty huge amount. Do you know where
the funds came from (who donated it)? I don't think I've heard of any
other open source projects getting anything close to that amount of
funding (with the exception of those projects like Mozilla and Gnome
that are largely funded/supported/developed by a single company for
their own purposes).

At any rate, I'd certainly be interested to find out who's responsible
for the aforementioned funds injection, and what relationship (if any)
they bear to the PostgreSQL dev team.

Pete.
--
http://cygnus.uwa.edu.au/~pete/

--
LARGE MAN:   Who's that then?
CART DRIVER: (Grudgingly) I dunno, Must be a king.