[plug] /Newbie - Removing non empty directories

Earnshaw, Mike earnshawm at wa.switch.aust.com
Tue May 23 11:19:53 WST 2000

List,

How do you remove non empty directories in Linux?

I have tried:

rmdir * --ignore-fail-on-non-empty

and

rmdir --ignore-fail-on-non-empty *

also tried using specific directory names instead of *

Neither worked. I appreciate the danger of -r, which I am **not** using.

If I wanted to do this on a regular basis, typing in the above switches
(assuming they worked) would be tedious (probably an intentional thing), can
I set an alias up for this?

Thanks

Mike Earnshaw       | "It don't mean a thing if     | e-mail in header
Computer Systems    | you cain't get that Ping...." | Tel: +61 8 9256 1099
  Support           |    Duke Ellington, 1932       | Fax: +61 8 9256 1199