[plug] Redirecting Web Data

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.smileys.net
Fri May 26 12:30:30 WST 2000

Mike from West Australia wrote:
> Question: Is there a way to handle username/passwords with a preset
> number of retries (rather more then 3).

> In one particular case there is password protected site which has
> an exceptionally long user name and password and frequently has
> errors in recognising the access request. I've considered patching
> lynx to do this but, wonder if there is another way...

#!/bin/sh
for tries in 5 4 3 2 1 0; do
	lynx -dump -auth=username:password >cachefile.txt
	last=$tries
	if ! grep -q 'text only seen on success' cachefile.txt; then
		break;
	fi
done
if [ $last = 0 ]; then
	echo "EEEEEeeeeeeaaaarrrgghhh!!!"
	exit 1
fi
exit 0

--
If at first you don't succeed, try a shorter bungee.