[plug] Search contents of a file

Peter Wright pete at cygnus.uwa.edu.au
Fri May 26 18:33:02 WST 2000

On Fri, May 26, 2000 at 06:19:52PM +0800, Earnshaw, Mike wrote:
> List,
>
> I am trying to locate files that contain some text, I know it must be
> easy but it eludes me :-(
>
> When in /etc ...
>
> cat * | grep mail.wa
>
> lists something, but I want to identify which filename so that I can
> edit that file.

Surely (when in /etc)

$ grep -l mail.wa *

should work?

Or have I misunderstood what you're trying to do?

> We have had to replace our M$ Exchange box which receives mail from
> a RH box, it's 1830 and everyone wants there mail ... HELP PLS

Sounds like a nice relaxing Friday evening... :)

> Thanks in advance,
> Mike Earnshaw       | "It don't mean a thing if     | e-mail in header

Good luck,

Pete.
--
http://cygnus.uwa.edu.au/~pete/

--
"Computers and automation have become so ingrained and essential to day-to-day
business that a sensible business should not rely on a single vendor to provide

  -- Brian Behlendorf on OSS (Open Sources, 1999 O'Reilly and Associates)