[plug] The Best Of Billy Connolly

adrian_blockley at dingoblue.net.au adrian_blockley at dingoblue.net.au
Sat May 27 20:33:05 WST 2000

On Fri, 26 May 2000, Bevan Broun wrote:

> on Thu, May 25, 2000 at 11:07:30PM -0700, Tamara Thompson <THOMPSON at gate.sunquest.com> wrote:
> > ps: anybody an awk expert out there?  I'm just learning, cause perl seemed too tough...
>
> Perl is easier than awk once you get going. I only ever use very
> simple awk on the command line. Once you start writting awk scripts
> you will find perl much nicer.

Awk is not that difficult once you get used to the paradigm. I like perl
too but I find that Awk can be very convenient.  I use it a fair bit at
work and for my studies. Its great for writing neat short programs to
extract the right bits of data from large data files.  I can remember my
first few awk programs that came out at about 21 lines that replaced over
12 pages of (not very good) Fortran code (oops sorry I used the F word...)

Adrian

Adrian and Yanhui Blockley
adrian_blockley at dingoblue.net.au
Ph 03 9571 4823