[plug] Optus at Home is secure... joking, of course

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.smileys.net
Tue May 30 18:54:59 WST 2000

"Scott, Simon" wrote:
> Hows this for funny... two answer that had me on the floor!!

> Is Optus @Home secure?
> Yes. If you are running a standard operating system such as Windows 95, NT
> 4.0, or 98 or higher, or MacOS 7.5.3 or higher, Optus @Home is completely
> secure. Security risks only occur as a result of subscriber activity that
> falls outside the Acceptable Use Policy such as operating a server from your
> home computer.

Translation: Optus Home itself is secure. Your computer is not. Offer
any service from it and it's history.

Many people offer SMB services without knowing it.

Windows 95 with no services is *not* secure.

As soon as you fetch anything named *.EXE *.DLL *.VBS *.HTA (etc) into
your Windows box it is not secure, services or not.

--
Dogs have masters. Cats have staff.