[plug] Optus at Home is secure... joking, of course

Mike Holland myk at golden.wattle.id.au
Tue May 30 22:13:38 WST 2000

On Tue, 30 May 2000, Leon Brooks wrote:

> > secure. Security risks only occur as a result of subscriber activity that
> > falls outside the Acceptable Use Policy such as operating a server from your
> > home computer.
>
> Translation: Optus Home itself is secure. Your computer is not. Offer
> any service from it and it's history.
>
> Many people offer SMB services without knowing it.

Actually, I think they block those ports. My dingoblue/optusnet dialup
account does. So they are saying they make it safe if you dont explicitly
run any services.

> Windows 95 with no services is *not* secure.
> As soon as you fetch anything named *.EXE *.DLL *.VBS *.HTA (etc) into

Well you could say that about Linux. OK, linux doesnt make it so easy,
but what about Gnome/KDE ? If they dont let you double click a perl
attachment now, I bet something soon will.

Mike Holland  <mike at golden.wattle.id.au>
                          --==--