[plug] stallion Easyio installation

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.smileys.net
Thu Nov 2 07:58:34 WST 2000

average at b-online.com.au wrote:
> i have been charged to get a dialin server going this i have done but i have
> gone and got a 8port stallion easyio pci card to increase the number of modems.
> i am using mgetty and it works so that the two modems on ttyS0/1 work no problems.

> by all accounts i should just have to insmod the stallion modules and put the
> ports (ttyE*) into inittab and restart it after doing a mkdevnod.

That's about right so far. At least, it worked for me with an EasyIO 4-port.

> (one thing is that lock files are created straight away under /var/lock for
> each of the ttyE* devs. delete these and they are created again straight away.)

Try lsof to see who (which process) owns the files.

> this i have done but i cannot communicate to the modems on the stallion card
> i have recompilled the kernal to build the stallion drivers into the kernel

> when i boot i get

> Serial driver version 4.27 with MANY_PORTS MULTIPORT SHARE_IRQ enabled
> ttyS00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
> ttyS01 at 0x02f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A
> Stallion Multiport Serial Driver: version 5.5.1
> STALLION: EasyIO-PCI found, board=0 io=dc00 irq=10 nrpanels=1 nrports=8
> pty: 256 Unix98 ptys configured

Looking good. A setserial listing of at least one of those ports would help.

> barryh at chance barryh]$ uname -a
> Linux chance.b-online.com.au 2.2.5-15 #3 Wed Nov 1 14:53:20 WST 2000 i686 unknown

Upgrade that kernel though, it's not very secure. If you want a Mandrake 7.2rc1
CD and are anywhere between Fremantle and Balcatta, ring me this morning on
0409655359.

> so the card has been configured i get entries indicating that everything is working
> in /proc under pci tty etc saying the card is in and configured.
> using the dos diagnostics shows the cared is installed and configured as well.
> i get error messages from the ttyE* in /var/log/messages but i get the same message
> with the ttyS* devices as well but this indicates that the devices are setup (?)

> Nov  1 17:24:21 chance mgetty[1386]: failed in mg_init_data, dev=ttyE3, pid=1386
> Nov  1 17:24:21 chance mgetty[1387]: init chat failed, exiting...: Interrupted system call
> Nov  1 17:24:21 chance mgetty[1387]: failed in mg_init_data, dev=ttyE2, pid=1387
> Nov  1 17:24:21 chance mgetty[1388]: init chat failed, exiting...: Interrupted system call
> Nov  1 17:24:21 chance mgetty[1388]: failed in mg_init_data, dev=ttyE6, pid=1388

The init chat failed messages should not happen. Check the settings to make sure
they're handshaking right, and check the cables. Use minicom or another terminal
program to verify by hand that you can ``see'' the modems.

> a work associate at another company has the same problem he originally
> set his under solaris same problem so has rebuilt the machine as a
> linux box. but still no communication.

Is this a new EasyIO board? That is, are you sure it works?

Have you checker permissions on /dev/ttyE* ?

--
Monitor goes funny, it's a virus; hard disk dies, it's a virus;
air-conditioning fails, it's a virus; printer says "ERROR 69 MOUSE