[plug] network cards

Colin Muller colin at durbanet.co.za
Thu Nov 2 14:15:25 WST 2000

wvovil at fundi.com.au wrote:

> Thanks for that.
>
> But I didn't mention that the notebook currently has a Xircom 10Base-T/100
> PCMCIA card (which wasn't in it when I installed Linux), and that I read
> somewhere that this was a difficult card to get to work.

I've successfully used a Xircom 33.6 Modem/10MBS Ethernet combo on both
a Toshiba Satellite and an IBM ThinkPad

Xircom tracks Linux driver projects for their cards:
http://www.xircom.com/cda/page/0,1298,0-0-1_20-476,00.html

Also, if you haven't ploughed through the PCMCIA HOW-TO, I'd suggest
doing so before you ditch that card - a simple IRQ setting change or
similar might well make it work.

I've also had good solid use from a D-Link DE-660 (10 MBS Ethernet) and,
wirelessly, a Lucent Wavelan Gold.

Colin