[plug] UPS's

Colin Rothnie colinr at tiwest.com.au
Mon Nov 6 13:44:54 WST 2000

I use something called a Deltec Powerware or something, 1200 or 1500 Va from
memory.  I think it is made by the same company as Exide.  The machine came
with useful Linux software that does all the usual things.  However, the
software also monitors and graphs things like variation in mains voltages
and battery voltage.  Another thing it does that many UPS software packages
don't do is allow one server to be the master UPS "monitor" which transmits
a shutdown message to other machines on the same UPS when it is time to go
down.  The same software is loaded onto the "power clients".

Having used the thing for about eighteen months now, the only "risky" time
with this unit is after the UPS issues the shutdown command and then waits
about 40 seconds before shutting down itself.  There is generally a few
seconds where if the power comes back on, the UPS stays up but the server is
down.

Cheers
Colin Rothnie