[plug] UPS's

Colin Rothnie colinr at tiwest.com.au
Mon Nov 6 14:13:39 WST 2000

On Monday, November 06, 2000 Matt Kemner wrote
> I wonder how difficult it is to spoof the "power is failing" package
> and therefore shut-down your entire network from remote...

The software uses a privileged port that is part of the firewall (of
course).  As well, there is a password required, although almost certainly
it sends the password over the local area network without encryption.
However, your point is certainly a consideration for people setting up such
systems.

I like the idea of not shutting down completely when the batteries run down,
but leaving the system in single user mode.  I will see whether it can be
done with the software set up that I have.

Thanks Matt (as always)
Colin Rothnie