[plug] New Website

Bret Busby bret at clearsol.iinet.net.au
Sun Nov 12 15:53:52 WST 2000

Joshua Pierre wrote:

> Hey,
>
> Looks like I finally got around to updating and uploading the new plug site. So
> hope you are all pleased. Comments and suggestions are welcome however no html
> pickyness as I am fixing it up asfter I run it through w3c.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Josh

Suggestions:

1. On the meetings page, the table at the bottom, with the topics for
coming meetings - could this be put toward the top of the page, perhaps,
immediately under the first line of text on the page?

2. The "members" page - could this be renamed the "office-bearers", or
some similar title, page? Also, how about including the mugshots?

3. On the "Resources" page, in the "other links", what about including
li.org, and, perhaps, a link to the HOWTO website?

4. On the acknowledgements page, while the Tennyson group is included, I
thought that they have a website. Could this be checked, and, if so, a
link included?

5. On the home page, could you include a brief statement about what
Linux is? If someone is given the URL, who doesn't know much about
computers, and, doesn't know what Linux is, a brief explanation could be
useful.

6. Also, on the "Resoources" page, could you include a link to
linux.org.au?

7. On the home page, with all the free space that it has, how about
including things like the "powered by Apache" (assuming that Apache is
the webserver, and, not MS IIS ;) ), and, since the filename extensions
(.phtml) appear to indicate that PHP is used, "driven by PHP", or
similar, and, most importantly, "Running on Linux vx.xxx"? I think that
would add impact.

What happened about the mailing list etiquette web page? I thought that
one was to be included, or, am I mistaken?

I assume that a deliberate decision was made not to use frames (I
believe that they were previousyl used, on the predecessor website). I
think that the use of frames, for the Navigation Panel, and the header
across the top, would be good.

It is certainly different.

Hope the suggestions are helpful.

--

Bret Busby

"So once you do know what the question actually is, you'll know what the
answer means."
 - Deep Thought, Chapter 28 of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
 - Douglas Adams, 1988