[plug] sound configuration

Michael Hunt michael.j.hunt at usa.net
Wed Nov 15 16:32:23 WST 2000

> but kcsd produces no sound. It thinks it's playing - the drive light
> shows activity and track change buttons etc seem to work - but no noise!
>
> Any ideas on where I should go from here?

I had a similar problem and I found that I had to go into the volume control
applet and increase the volume to full before I heard any thing at a
reasonable level. I have found that for some strange reason the Linux driver
does not seem to drive the gain as much as it does under windows and that
you only get noise when the volume control is at the highest level. Also
sndstat doesn't seem to be relevant for creative drivers (at least the
proprietary binary versions which they have released). For my ES1370 and a
SoundBlaster Live that I had back in the UK a cat of sndstat produced
nothing.

Hope this helps

Michael Hunt
West Africa