[plug] sound configuration

Nick Bannon nick at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Wed Nov 15 14:38:40 WST 2000

On Wed, Nov 15, 2000 at 02:08:24PM +0800, Dave Dartnall wrote:
[...]
> actions like 'cat /usr/share/sounds/wav/applause.wav > /dev/audio'
> 	produce sound.

That's a very good sign.

> executing 'cat /dev/sndstat' produces 'cat: /dev/sndstat: No such
> 	device' even though /dev/sndstat in fact exists.

That shouldn't be a problem - my es1370 has the same results. The
es1370 is a fairly basic driver, maybe it simply doesn't support that
interface.

[...]
> but kcsd produces no sound. It thinks it's playing - the drive light
> shows activity and track change buttons etc seem to work - but no noise!

If kcsd is a normal sort of CD player program, analogue sound may be
coming out of your CD-ROM and the program is simply controlling it. You
should have a cable going from the CD-ROM to the sound card, or you
could plug headphones in the front.

If you have that, try using a mixer program and see if the "CD" volume
is at zero (muted).

Nick.

--
  Nick Bannon  | "I made this letter longer than usual because
nick at it.net.au | I lack the time to make it shorter." - Pascal