[plug] serial cable length (was: PPP Connection)

Kevin Shackleton kevins at wn.com.au
Thu Nov 23 10:08:29 WST 2000

Our office used to have (pre 10BaseT, pre-10Base2) some serial cables around the
building that we used for several purposes, including Laplink.  Laplink would work
at 115 kbps on all but the longest run of probably 50 m, certainly well over 20 m.
I think we could run the long link at 57 kbps, but it might have been 38 kbps.

That was using proper shielded serial cable implementing all handshaking.  In fact
I think that Laplink used the handshaking lines for parallel transmission, rather
than handshaking (?).

K.