[plug] Cookies

Bret Busby bret at clearsol.iinet.net.au
Wed Nov 29 07:57:59 WST 2000

Christian wrote:

<snip>

> But either way, from what I gather from what Bret has said, security is
> not the issue here.  Privacy is.

Privacy alone, was the issue. That was until Christian indicated that
security could be an issue. If the use of cookies decreases security,
then, it appears to me, to defeat the purpose of the security on the
password-protected Internet site. Thus, cookies appear to be an
Archilles heel, in the security.

As I have stated, Amway had had the secure website functioning, without
cookies, previous to the current version. Also, the ANZ (which, however,
now, says that its accounts that have Internet banking access are
completely insecure, and that it assumes no responsibility for the
security from the bank end) has had a (previously) secure website, with
128-bit encypotion, and, no cookies.

Oh, and, BillK; trading with Amway can still be done without using the
Internet site, but the ability to use the Internet site makes it faster,
more convenient, and, easier to verify details of transactions (if it
wasn't for the use of cookies).

--

Bret Busby

"So once you do know what the question actually is, you'll know what the
answer means."
 - Deep Thought, Chapter 28 of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
 - Douglas Adams, 1988