[plug] Job opportunities? (OT)

Andrew Furey simpware at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 1 15:29:43 WST 2000

Hi guys,

I'm looking to see what suggestions you guys have
regarding possible Linux jobs here in Perth. (This is
almost an Ask Slashdot, but I don't want US jobs :).

A bit of background:

I am 20 years old, with a (virtually completed)
Diploma in Electronic Engineering. I'm hoping to get a
job in computer repairs, or tech support, or Linux
admin, or maybe even web (CGI/Perl) development. I've
been working with computers (hardware and software)
for the last 10 years or so, and using Linux for the
last 2 of those.

My dad has previously been self-employed (contract),
but there was very little work. So he got an MCP in
Access and is now knocking back work because he is now
too busy with his new fulltime job and his previous
clients.

No one else in the family has much interest in Linux.
They respect my decision to use it, but they are quite
insistent that there are no jobs available for it - at
least not in Australia.

They have suggested that I should follow dad's
footsteps and get M$ certified in something. I don't
particularly want that, for the various political and
technical reasons which most of you would be familiar
with, but I am also concerned about the lock-in effect
of doing one of their courses and being forced to use
their stuff day in, day out.

As much as I respect dad's advice as my father, I
don't think I can blindly follow him on it, given that
with his MCP and his current work (Access devel), he
is basically in bed with MS, as are most of his work
contacts.

So what do you guys think? Is there Linux (/related -
Perl etc) work out there in this city of ours? Or am I
doomed to get a job using stuff I will always dislike?

Sorry for the length of this post.

TIA,

Andrew Furey

=====
In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates?