[plug] Job opportunities? (OT)

Jason Nicholls jason at mindsocket.com.au
Sun Oct 1 18:04:20 WST 2000

G'day,

On Sun, Oct 01, 2000 at 12:29:43AM -0700, Andrew Furey wrote:
> So what do you guys think? Is there Linux (/related -
> Perl etc) work out there in this city of ours? Or am I
> doomed to get a job using stuff I will always dislike?

There's work if you want it. A couple years ago I decided I never really want
to work with Windows and would stick with Linux until something better came
along. So far my work experience is as follows:

	- worked at an ISP in Sydney, solely using linux. I did quite a bit of
	  sysadmin stuff and this is where I was originally introduced to
	  linux.

	- run my own business. I *choose* to do everything in linux (web
	  stuff using apache, perl, shell, etc...).

	- worked for an ISP over here for a while (iiNet) and it gave the
	  opportunity to do linux related work, however I choose to pursue my
	  own business and quit.

	- Currently contracting out to a company that does web development and
	  hosting that is entirely linux based.

Remember, it may not be possible to jump straight into your dream position.
Try to find something that can lead toward linux jobs, since many ISPs
run linux they are a good choice.

Good luck.

Jason Nicholls