[plug] [why not staroffice]

Colin Muller colin at durbanet.co.za
Wed Oct 4 07:24:02 WST 2000

tlee wrote:

> Thanks for explaining Colin - do you think most people are using C with the gc
> compiler and using emacs or vi to as the interface, unlike dos where one buys Turbo C
> all in one editor compiler?

Hard to say. There are certainly IDEs (Integrated Development
Environment, i.e. editor-compiler-debugger) in use under Linux. Judging
by conversations on this list, most people here are using joe, vi(m) or
emacs with an external compiler. I once saw a survey of some
high-profile names in the open source world, most of whom used some
variant of vi(m) or (x|micro)emacs; but that, like PLUG, was a very
small sample to take as a general rule.

>Are procedural programs still being writen or is everybody
> using C++ OOP these days on linux.? Any feedback very appreciated.

This is the stuff of religious wars, so sensible figures are impossible
to come by. Lots of plain C is still being written, but I have no idea
of the proportion of C to C++ in the world; then of course there's Java,
Perl (which is happy to be OO or non-OO as you require), Python and
much, much more. If you have a project in mind and are not sure which
language to start with, look around (at, say, freshmeat.net) for
similar-seeming projects, and see which language predominates in those.

Colin