[plug] debian install from floppy disks?

The Thought Assassin assassin at live.wasp.net.au
Wed Oct 4 12:18:20 WST 2000

On Wed, 4 Oct 2000, Jason :) wrote:
> You can download the basic distribution of debian (for floppy disks) at
> ftp://ftp.au.debian.org/debian/dists/potato/main/disks-i386/current/images-1.44
> It's about 15 disk images. Once you have downloaded them you write the disk
> images to the floppy using a program like Rawrite (sorry, dont know a link, i
> used the one off the redhat cd).

You should only have to write 2 or 3 floppies. The other floppies should
be replaced by a file called base.tgz or similar which can be placed on a
CDROM, FAT partition, NFS share, or other. (in increasing order of
difficulty) It's been a long time since I installed Debian (Debian never
requires reinstallation for any reason) and I've never installed the
latest version from scratch, (though I've upgraded to it progressively
fromthree version back.) so I will leave it to others or to the
documentation to help you with the process once you determine where you
will install base.tgz from.

-Greg Mildenhall