[plug] debian install from floppy disks?

Trevor Phillips phillips at central.murdoch.edu.au
Thu Oct 5 10:11:20 WST 2000

The Thought Assassin wrote:

> You should only have to write 2 or 3 floppies. The other floppies should

5 if you want all 3 "driver" disks (plus the boot & root discs), but yes,
there's a "compact" version on 3 floppies which works fine if you have pretty
average/standard hardware.

> be replaced by a file called base.tgz or similar which can be placed on a
> CDROM, FAT partition, NFS share, or other. (in increasing order of
> difficulty) It's been a long time since I installed Debian (Debian never

The new version also supports HTTP download of the base, so if you've got LAN
access to a webserver (either official, or your own server), you can stick the
large base2_2.tgz (approx 15 Meg) on a webserver & http it off from the boot
floppies.

> requires reinstallation for any reason) and I've never installed the
> latest version from scratch, (though I've upgraded to it progressively
> fromthree version back.) so I will leave it to others or to the
> documentation to help you with the process once you determine where you
> will install base.tgz from.

Similar here, but I'm always converting more PCs to running Debian, so I have
used the latest install. ^_^

I don't know why people call it hard to install. Maybe it's because I've done
it enough times, or maybe I know the answers to the questions it asks. Yes, it
asks lots of questions, but most of the time the default is right, and the rest
the answer's usually not too hard. And potato is quite a bit nicer to install
than slink was. ^_^

: CWIS Systems Administrator     -           T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :