[plug] Slightly OT? cascading proxies

Matt Kemner zombie at wasp.net.au
Wed Oct 4 17:10:09 WST 2000

On Wed, 4 Oct 2000, Brian Tombleson wrote:

> How to allow specific remote sub-nets in past the firewalls when you don't
> have access to those firewalls or the ability to change them ?

If the Firewall allows http traffic through (via proxy or otherwise) but
not much else, I'm thinking this is a job for httptunnel.

It will allow you to set up (for example) a PPP link via HTTP, so you
can give the computers on the remote network local IPs - or if they are in
short supply assign them "private" (eg 192.168.x.x) addresses and
masquerade from the Linux box.

http://www.nocrew.org/software/httptunnel.html or see your local friendly
Debian mirror.

run hts on your local linux box, and run htc on each of the remote
machines, pointing them at the linux box via the proxy.

 - Matt