[plug] cdrom

Matt Kemner zombie at wasp.net.au
Wed Oct 4 22:19:27 WST 2000

On Wed, 4 Oct 2000, BillK wrote:

> 	I am having problems dismounting the cdrom on my Mandrake system.
> 5) refused to dismount from server (root) saying busy
> 6) umount -f also failed.
 [SNIP]
> As far as I can tell nothing is mounted, no
> loopback involved.

Run "fuser -vm /mnt/cdrom" (or wherever it's mounted) to find out what
processes are currently accessing (and therefore blocking) the device

>  Even logging out of all screens etc fails to restore
> it.  I suspect its NFS, but how to reset it?

To kill and restart NFS, run:

/etc/rc.d/init.d/<script that controls nfs on mandrake> stop
/etc/rc.d/init.d/<script that controls nfs on mandrake> start

Sorry I can't be more specific than that, I don't run Mandrake
but for example, under Debian 2.2 you would do
/etc/init.d/nfs-server stop
/etc/init.d/nfs-server start

(earlier versions of Debian have /etc/init.d/netstd-nfs instead)

If that doesn't work, kill the processes manually
(the ones that appear when you run the fuser command as above)

 - Matt