[plug] Redhat and Mylex Acc170 install

David Griffiths griffith at environ.wa.gov.au
Thu Oct 5 13:54:51 WST 2000

>  I am hoping that someone can help with a  Redhat and Mylex Acc170 raid
>card  install problem

snip

>What I would like to know is how can I create a Driver disk  with this
>latest Mylex drivers  so that I  can get carry on with the
>installation.? Or is there a better method to get out of this chicken
>and egg scenario.

Michael,

if the other suggestions don't pan out and you're desperate, another option
might be to install a minimal install of linux on an ordinary (non RAID)
disk in the machine and configure the RAID stuff from there and then copy
over the os partitions (if any) that you need raided.

If the drivers can't be compiled into the kernel then you will probably
need to build an initrd containing the drivers (see mkinitrd) before you
can boot from the raid system itself. If I remember correctly /boot doesn't
like being raid  so you may need a non-raid disk in the system anyway.

cheers,

Dave.