[plug] OT word processing

Jason Nicholls jason at mindsocket.com.au
Thu Oct 5 13:57:28 WST 2000

G'day,

On Thu, Oct 05, 2000 at 09:21:47AM +0800, Christian wrote:
> In a state of mass confusion, Carl Gherardi wrote:
> > Cant remember who sent it but products such as microsoft work do have
> > functionality similar to latex and other markup languages
> > Most people do simply use it as a WYSIWYG editor but this does not
> > necessarily have to be the case.
>
> Huh?  Microsoft (Sometimes) Works is just a bunch of "integrated",
> scaled-down office apps from when I last checked (admittedly a while
> ago).  LaTeX is a highly sophisticated text processing system.  There is
> no comparison at all really.  Perhaps you can elaborate as to what
> features Microsoft Works has that LaTeX has?

I think he meant Microsoft Word (not works). It does have some of the
facilities that latex offers such as auto table of contents generation,
defining document styles etc... Since I never use it I can't say any more
except that my friend, who is pro-microsoft, is now using tex (on windows)
rather than Word for uni assignments ;)

Later,

Jason Nicholls