[plug] A couple of questions...

John Breen jbreen at wn.com.au
Thu Oct 5 14:08:10 WST 2000

Just a couple of (hopefully) quickies:

1.  I have just installed a new system via ftp from my existing
machine.  The install found my Etherlink III card with no worries and
the FTP install all went according to plan.  When I reboot, the
network card doesn't get set up, so I can't see any other machines on
the network.  Any ideas, anyone?

2.  (On the other Linux box...) I use this box to fetch my mail from
my ISP (via fetchmail).  When I (from my Winblows box) try to pop my
mail from the Linux box, nothing seems to happen.  Looking in the
logs reveals that inetd is trying to call ipop3d (well, duh...),
which isn't there.  What gives?  I thought installing inetd installed
all these helper apps??  If not, can anyone tell me which rpm I might
find it in?

Oh, and to all the guys who responded with info about pmFirewall,
thanks - it looks really good, and if I can get the time to set it
all up properly, should do just the job I need it to...

Cheers,

John Breen