[plug] ext2, reiserfs, promptless recovery

Kim Covil kimc at zydeco.ned.dem.csiro.au
Fri Oct 6 13:51:30 WST 2000

> Leon Brooks wrote:
> > some of the machines in question live in
> > extremely hostile environments.
>
> You should know better than to take on clients who have children :-)
>
> Thanks for the advice. Looks like Reiser is my answer. So much for the
> weekend away ...
>
> Colin

There is no reason not to make all your partitions reiserfs as long as
you remember to compile reiserfs INTO the kernel (NOT as a module) and
if possible get yourself a bootable rescue floppy with reiserfs IN its
kernel too...

It is similar in this respect to a system where your hard drives are
all SCSI and you need to make sure the right SCSI driver is in the
kernel rather than as a module...

At least that is my experience (from getting fed up with waiting for
fscks of ext2 partitions while trying to get my BP6 stable and then
while testing its overclocking limits)

Cheers

Kim

Kim Covil - CSIRO Exploration & Mining   E-mail: kimc at ned.dem.csiro.au
            PO Box 437, Nedlands,        Tel: +61 8 9284 8425   ,-_!\
            Western Australia  6009      Fax: +61 8 9389 1906  /     \
                                                               *_,-._/
   Please direct all personal e-mail to kimbotha at covil.com.au